Welcome to another “5-Bullet Friday”, in which we feature the best fly fishing & fly tying tips from around the web.
- [Video] How to Tie the Squirmy Wormy – This non-traditional pattern helped the US Youth Fly Fishing Team win the World Youth Fly Fishing Championships in 2014 and led to protests by other competing teams to have the pattern banned from use in competition fly fishing. Is it in your “fly” box. Watch Video.
- Understanding Leaders and How To Rebuild Them – The fly fishing leader is an often overlooked and not well understood part of your fishing rig. Learn how to modify and rebuild your leader to better suit fishing conditions and what flies you are fishing. via Fly Fisherman. Read Article.
- [Video] How to Dress a Dry Fly – From liquids and gels to desiccants, Steve Galletta of Bighorn Angler demonstrates how to properly dress a dry fly in this short instructional video. Watch Video.
- Top 5 Patterns for Smallmouth Bass – Good smallmouth bass fly patterns are designed to allow you to cover water at different depths and speeds, and with different actions as David Karczynski discuss in an article in Outdoor Life. View Dave’s top 5 patterns for smallmouth bass. Read Article.
- [Video] How to Cast to Trout in Tight Spots – If you struggle fishing small mountain streams, where the trout lies are surrounded by vegetation, rocks, and different kinds of current, then this video by Kent Klewein of Gink & Gasoline will help you learn the best way to cast to such spots. Watch Video.